Hey Freshers! We hope you’re all very excited to move into Nottingham and meet tonnes of new people. As you’re writing your uni shopping lists and planning your massive trip to IKEA or wherever else, we thought we’d give you a little extra help. This is a very extensive list of what you need to buy/pack from bedding to important documents, it’s all there. Literally all of us on the committee used this list when preparing for university and it was incredibly useful. Argos, Wilko and IKEA also have their own university checklist, deals and some great themes and bedroom ideas. We’d recommend decorating your room and making it cosy because that’s where you’ll spend a lot of your time and you might even get a bit homesick!
The Notts ACS forget-me-not’s:
- Mattress protector
- Corkscrew/tin opener
- Extension cable
- Door stopper (so you can meet your flatmates on move-in day)
- Hangers (you wont be given any)
- Kitchen roll
- Toilet brush
- Washing up sponge
- Medication (fresher’s flu is so real!)
- Laundry basket
- Clothes drying rack
Lastly, a few tips for when you move in:
-Make sure you give your room, kitchen space and bathroom a good clean before you do ANYTHING
-For the self-catered lot, don’t bother buying a toaster, kettle, iron or rice cooker as you’ll probably be given one to share with your flatmates; check what will be provided and wait till you get there so you can split the cost of extra appliances
-Don’t take toooo much stuff with you especially if living on campus as you’ll have to move in and out each term
-Buy a double duvet not a single even if you have a single bed
-Earplugs may come in handy for noisy neighbours (and St Peter’s Court fire alarms!)
-To save space in your vehicle you can do your food shopping in Notts
Lidl – 1 Midland Way, NG7 3NY, ASDA – Hyson Green, NG7 5FP, etc are close-by for the self catered students
That’s all from us for now! Comment below if you have questions about anything related.
Hey freshers, if you’re religious like some of us and wish to continue practicing while in Nottingham then this post is for you. It’s so important to stay true to who you are although it can be challenging when you’re in a completely new environment with strangers all around you. Peer pressure is real and people will try and influence you everyday so inbetween all the experimenting and fun, remember where you came from as well as your morals and home training.
We’ve compiled a list of places where you can go to worship in the local area but ofcourse you’re not limited to this. There may be loads more that we don’t know about so comment and share with us so someone else can be blessed.
The main religious places our members attends are:
Check out the UoN Worship & Prayer page also for loads more. Hope this helps.
Where can I get my braids done? Who’s the best barber in town? I need to do my eyebrows, help!
Yes guys, we hear you loud and clear and we’re eager to answer your questions so here goes…
For the ladies
The best hair and cosmetics shops we’d recommend are:
The best hairdressers:
- The Honey Hand – If you want top quality fleekiness, you can get in touch with our Welfare Officer, Honey, who has over 5 years of professional experience. She specialises in lace closure weaves, braids, twists, relaxer treatments, you name it, and also threads eyebrows! – Ilkeston Rd – email@example.com
- GHAB|pro – With over 5 years experience in the hair and beauty sector, Sophia is your go to girl for all things beauty related. From weaves and hair treatments to full face makeovers, GHAB|pro has you sorted! – Insta: @ghabpro – firstname.lastname@example.org – 07538584945
- Naturelle Salon – 106 Hucknall Rd, NG5 1AD
- Shayaa Natural Hair Salon – 204-202 Ilkeston Rd, NG7 3FX
The best nail shops and beauty bars:
- Five Star Nails – 4 King’s Walk, City Centre, NG1 2AE
- USA Nails – 19A Trinity Walk, City Centre, NG1 2AN
- New York Nails – 34 Upper Parliament St, NG1 2AG
- Mona’s Beauty Bar – (inside Superdrug) Victoria Centre Market, NG1 3PT
- Lashious Beauty – Victoria Health Centre, Glasshouse St, NG1 3QN
For the gents
The loudest, sharpest and most intricate trims:
- T-Cuts – 134 Alfreton Road, NG7 3NS (the best in Nottingham apparently!) – 0115 978 9073
- Kurt Barbers – 22 Hartley Rd, NG7 3AD – 07790678818
- Yess Jam Barbers – 82 Hartley Rd, Nottingham NG7 3AF – 07786294969
You’re very welcome.